Thursday 15 January 2015

Hidden House




Re-imagining "Hidden House" (from the title of a permanent display in Torre Abbey)

a parallel curating of an already curated space within a museum
curation overlay / layered curation / parallel interpretation / overlaid interpretation

I was shown this space: a ceiling above a ceiling, pierced, preserved, suspended. There are many more spaces behind spaces: windows behind walls; staircases stepping onto staircases.

I had been filming in empty rooms behind hidden doors.....and now I wonder about catching sounds - something balanced between a systematic study and an irrational disquiet - like the disturbance you feel when you sense movement in your peripheral vision.

I heard it inside the corner of my ear

with thanks to Joseph Harvey (Custodian, Torre Abbey)